01 April 2010

Passover Holiday

So March 30th was the first night of Pesach or in English Passover. Its 8 days.
Passover is about the remembrance of the Jews being set free from Egypt.
I spent my passover in Jerusalem.
When I finished birthright I chose to participate in a program called Birthright NEXT. It is where Masa helps you learn about Judaism more in depth and helps you get to Israel. I did a program called Partners In Torah. You can learn hebrew and about other topics.
Okay so I told you this so I can tell you this.
Partners in Torah set me up with a nice woman named Chanala. She helped me with my hebrew, learning the letters and the sounding and some words and sentences.
Chanala invited me over to her house for her first Pesach Sedar at her place. I have to say it was definitely the most educating sedar I have ever been to. I am also honored that I would be able to attend her First Sedar. It was 6 hours! From 8pm to 2am. I learned so much about Passover. I learned alot more detail about the 10 plagues and how they are viewed.
Im not going to go into detail because to be honest there was just too much to write about. I did learn one rather cool tradition though. Everyone pours each other's drinks. We are celebrating freedom so therefore we don't need to pour our own drinks.
Also another neat tradition would be the head of the household sits in a giant comfy chair to resemble being a king. I think I might change that up though. Why should it be just the men who get to have such wonderful and comfortable traditions. Also you are supposed to lean when eating and drinking. No sitting up straight- it represents slavery.
I went to bed around 230 am after talking to my mom and telling her about it. The next day around 11 we had another sedar which was around 2 hours I believe.11am-1pm. 2 hours seems about right. A few hours after the sedar Chanala showed me around Ramot Aleph. It is a fairly new Jewish settlement. And yes, you can see the Palestinian/Israeli border from this neighborhood. In fact it has the fence. It was a very beautiful neighborhood. It had such beautiful views. I must go back and take photos. It smelled lovely, there were so many flowers.
I left when passover was over around 740pm. I took the bus to Jerusalem's Central Station.
I got lost getting there. Its very different between night and day. Also I think there are different bus stops... that's probably why I couldnt really find my way. To get to the Ramot Aleph bus stop you have to cross the street Shazar Blv. In the day its easy to see but at night no way at all.
A nice girl named Yasmin showed me. I was definitely going the right way. I knew where to go I was just worried. It was around 9 at night and I really didnt feel like getting lost in Jerusalem. But Yasmin showed me. Shes my age. Im assuming shes my age. She said she was in her 2nd year of Sherut Leumi. Sherut Leumi is the alternative choice instead of the IDF. Its like community service. You help special need people, children, hospitals, schools, etc...
So finally I made it. Then, got lost in the central station. They dont have english in Jerusalem Central Station. Instead of English, they have Russian. You would think that in Jerusalem it would be English and in Tel Aviv it would be Russian. But hey you know. Im sure Ill learn it all one day. Ha me and directions. There is just no communication between me and directions what so ever. after a few minutes I found it and got on the bus to Tel Aviv. Everything after that was smooth sailing. I got home around 11pm. Then woke up early the next day and left around 11 for Davids house. Im getting my traveling pro XP. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment