05 March 2011

Not So Great Adventure Part 1.

Wow. Can you guys believe it? March 23rd will be my 1 year of writing this blog. I'm definitely going to try and write a blog on that day. A nice reflective blog of the past year.
So this "Not so great adventure" is definitely one that could have been seen coming from miles away. This is also one where I have to be really careful of what I say. It's a very sensitive issue and I can get into some trouble.
I started at Tel Hashomer being in the armory giving out the guns for everyone who has guard duty. I put up a big enough fuss to get a small job switch. I was still in Afsenaut just a different job title. My hours stayed the same. Unfortunately alot stayed the same. Im still in the armory a few times a month. Then add onto it the times I go there just to get away from my commander!
My job is stamping all the soldiers papers who come into my section and organize the papers they need to give me.  Now I also have other things to do just because I'm in afsenaut. If someone needs something (anywhere from a unit tag to a pin to paper to forks/knives to toilet paper and soap), I give it to them. Afsenaut hold all the supplies for the base. Mine is more specific to my small section of the base. Tel Hashomer is a giant base. You need a car or bus to get around it. Technically this isn't my job at all and Im not supposed to be doing it in the first place. I am also the secretary to my commander. He has a secretary who just doesn't do his job. I'm the only one who does my job(the neshakiit does as well. She's a great girl and I love her). Im the only reason the afsenaut is running and my commander has admitted this multiple times. Now normally I wouldn't have a problem being on base all day- I actually kind of like it but its not fair. I have the most hours out of everyone. Im told I need to stay longer then everyone else. My actual hours are 8-3. Im there 8-5. Are you ready to see the hours of everyone else? 830-11, 830-1, 830-2, 830-230, 1-5, and 5-7. Thats not very fair. One because my commander tells 3 of them at once its okay to be on vacation while the other 3 take gimilim(sick days). Two the people that are still there that come in the morning come around 9. I have to be there at 8 because there are officers I need to help at 815/830(thats what my commander tells me) but they don't come at 830. They come at 9. I have to be there at a normal time because my commander calls and checks to make sure Im actually there. He doesn't call anyone else, I know because they come in and ask me if he's called and asked for them.
I also have to speak with all the officers that come and need things. My most common asked question is "Where is your commander?" My response "He's not on base today and I don't know when he will be back."
There are also loads of times where I've had to be in the armory and the afsenaut at the same time. Can I just say that I cant defy the laws of physics. It's impossible. My commander doesn't seem to care. It doesn't matter how many times I've talked to him and explained to him I can't do it and that I need a break. A break for me right now would be leaving at my normal regular hours. I have no problem with 8-5 if it wasn't only me and I wasn't the one getting stuck with ALL the work, literally. 
He's been letting some of the kids go because they did "hard" work. And when I say let them go I mean let them go home at 11 am. REALLY? Now when I get stuck there all day and we have shipments come in who gets stuck doing the work bring everything in? Me. I don't get to go home. He also had the nerve to tell me that "Im a girl and I cant lift such heavy things." Funny last time I checked I could and I have. I might not be wonder woman but I can carry 20 pounds of paper. I can also carry 2 kids at once. So you know what Mr.Commander? Take that to the kitchen and make me a sandwich. I cant do anything tachat sheli!
Some of the officers have been saying how it isn't fair and trying to talk to him. Then the other day, two soldiers of the Sgan Aluf (Lieutenant Colonel) came and needed things, I told them I couldn't help because they needed to talk to my commander. They got mad and called him, he told them to come back in the afternoon. They were so mad that I apologized where they said it wasn't my fault. One of them started asking questions asking why am I always the only one here. I explained everything and the boy kept going on about how Im the only one here all the time in multiple places at once. The girl then told me how good my hebrew is and my commander cant be doing this to me and that she was going to speak to the Sgan Aluf for me. So the Sgan Aluf spoke to him but still nothing changed. I've been thankful for the days that I have guard duty because I t means I get to go home early and I don't have to be in afsenaut and even better my commander cant call me. Although he has made the other soldiers call me to ask where I am and what Im doing and why Im not on base and then deny it to the very end. He just doesn't want to speak to me directly unless he has too. This has happened more then once to the point where he will call me really late at night when he knows Im sleeping(145am anyone?) just so he its easier for him and he can say he tried. By the way its forbidden to call one of your soldiers that late at night unless we are under attack. His reason was someone was sick. That wasn't the first and last time either.
I even talked to him about that and told him to stop. So far so good. No late night phone calls. He has also tried saying I can't use my yom sidurim because no one would be in afsenaut so I had to fight it down to less then half a day and leave 2 hours earlier then I normally would. That is also illegal.
If you are a lone soldier and you need a yom sidurim your commander can NOT tell you no.  
I talked to a friend about all of this because it has been really bugging me. It doesn't matter how many times I talk to my commander and other soldiers and officers talk to him nothing is changing. It's just wrong and unfair treatment.
He decided he is going to help me. I met some of his friends when he took to me to a bar to meet his friends. My friends name is Dor by the way. I love that kid. Hes a really great person. Im really thankful hes been trying to help me. Its nice to have someone care and help and be there. So at the end of the night when we were all going home we stood on the street corner getting ready to go our separate ways where Dor just says "Hey can we transfer her into our unit?" His friend then says "Yeah I don't see why not. You want to be in the Keriah(the pentagon of israel) and the air force?" I had no idea any of this was even possible. They then tell me all of their ranks. They are all high ranking officers in Kevah. Kevah is when you are done with your mandatory service and sign on more time. I had absolutely no idea. I told them I'd think about it. Joining the air force would be a complete uniform change! Although I would be with better people who enjoy the army and do their work. I would also get treated better.
I dont really know where I want to go in the army. I signed a document saying I want to change jobs. My ideas have been go to Hativa Nahal, International Relations, or the airforce. Joining Nahal and going to beit lid would be on base for a week. Everything else is coming home when I want. Id be able to work and everything which is what I'm trying to do.
So basically since things were not getting better with my commander my friend Dor helped me write a complaint. A complaint is called Kvila (קבילה). I just sent it in so I should be hearing from them this week. Most likely tomorrow morning. So basically this is another Adventurous Waiting Game again just like my last Adventure Post. So I should have another post or two up this week. :)
Ill update later. I think wrote more then enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment