03 September 2010

Serious Subject Matter/Issue

Now this blog for me is rather difficult to write. But I think as a female in the army it is important and crucial to bring this subject up. I haven't really seen too much of this issue anywhere. I feel like it is one that no one really wants to talk about. It's also very difficult to talk about. Writing this blog is a very very big step for me. Im not looking for responses back. I just ask that you read it and think about it.
This subject being SEXUAL HARASSMENT.
For me this is a very touchy subject. I have been a victim of harassment and molestation in high school. What pains me more now is that I can now say Im a victim of it in the army. I feel like this is an international problem that is never brought up because people are too scared.
You have to ask questions like "Was she teasing you?" "Did she ever say stop, please dont touch me?" "Please don't say those things to me?" "Please leave me alone?" How can one justify who's telling the truth or now. How can one justify if one is just crying "Wolf" for revenge out of anger? One can't.
Also it is not only females who are victims but yes as surprising as it is, males can be too. We can be just as cruel and malicious as they are.
When one makes steps towards stopping such actions against oneself from someone else, they tend to get harassed from the accused friends/family. It makes things that much harder. This isnt a subject that everyone wants to be made public. No one wants the scrutiny of people knowing. The subject of sex is already such a private matter that this makes it even worse. It makes the victim feel horrible, disgusting, betrayed, violated and so many other things as well as frightened and alone.
You can't stop someone from looking at you. You can say something but that just provokes them even more. You cant be nice about it- they think you won't mean it. You can't be forceful and mean about it- then they see it as a game and they get embarrassed and then want to gain their dignity back and fix their ego. It also makes a big scene. I have tried both ways of dealing with. There is no correct way. But how far is too far? How far are we willing to let people get away with such despicable actions? Since high school my life has been forever changed with the fear of men. Including those my age and those younger. It forever alters your way of thinking.
I came to Israel not expecting such actions but I was foolish to think that this subject is just in America. My situation is being taken care of with the proper authorities. I tried dealing with it myself when it was just words. The moment it got worse to where this person tried to touch me I went to the proper authorities. I felt that this was an important issue that needed to take notice.
I understand I can't stop people from staring. I can't stop them from yelling things at me and puckering their lips and whistling at me. For me this does make me uncomfortable. Im not used to such attention. It is also unwanted. I can tell them to stop but that wont do anything. This isn't an issue that will go away either. Until life ceases to exist it will be a problem. But maybe we can make it somewhat more bearable to deal with. Nobody realizes how it will truly affect you until you become a victim yourself. As I said previously your mind is forever altered. Your trust with people are forever altered. It haunts you forever. Everything about you is different. I have had such relationship issues that it makes me hard to open up to anyone of the opposite sex. It makes it that much harder to just have a normal relationship. To wonder "why is this man with me?" "Does he like me for me or does he think Im easy?" It makes you scared and it makes you want to hide(Kind of what Im doing now. Hiding in my room writing this blog just so I dont have to have the chance to run into him or his friends). It makes you want to be alone when thats the last feeling you want to feel. When you need someone the most. But what if youre being harassed by a member of the opposite sex and you want to run to the person who you trust the most and feel the safest with? What if that person is also a member of the opposite sex? How do you stop the feelings that come up of disgust? The sex that hurt you the most is also the sex that you trust the most. What do you do? Who do you turn to? How do you make the feelings go away? How can you help yourself and hopefully help others? Thats why I want everyone who reads this blog to think about this situation. How can people feel so victimized and scared? How can we help them? What I have to say is you arent alone. There are millions of us out there who all feel this way. We are all too scared and nervous to say something and do something. We don't want the drama and the after affects. We think by ignoring it, it will go away. It wont. YOU NEED TO SPEAK UP AND SAY SOMETHING.
Thanks for your time and remember to the victims who may read this- You arent alone.

4 comments:

  1. Hon,you have a friend here for life.May you be safe in g-ds arms,and many blessings.Also have a great newyear.I,Wish i, could be israel with you all.i,am disablied in a wheelchair,can walk alittle,on ssi,broke,lol.other that i, would come if i,could,even tho there is war.i,support and stand with you israel.i love usa and israel,i am a christain.we can become penpals if want,email,if you would like a friend.Stay safe hon,don't let them get to you,g-d will be with you always.Stand stall,head up,you are standing for what is right.i,.have been in your shoes to hon,i know how you feel.i was treated bad in school to,and molested as a child,before i was 12.but,i have found g-ds grace and forgive,and gave it all to him.i,forgave,but no we dont forget,but we can forgive,leave it to g-d.can tell you more if we write as penpals.i am 53 now,lived a very rough life,but when i found g-d at 12 and 30 it changed my thinking and life forever.g-d loves you and us.i,was afraid to,but,i did what the bible said to do,and then let g-d handle it.no,we aren't alone,i am here for you dear,i hope i,can help you and g-d,maybe,we ment to find each other today.i,believe g-d sent me to you.your sister in christ,melody,(venusstarlite),i am on youtube as thevenusstarlite,and venusstarlite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry that you have to deal with this but thank you for sharing and getting the word out there. Don't let them make you a victim. I hope it gets better. I don't even know you but I've got your back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's what I am saying in the blog. That these girls/boys aren't alone. I never said I was victim.

    ReplyDelete